Thursday, June 9, 2011

Honey Extraction

After pulling off all those frames of honey it was time for step two. I anticipated getting a bit more honey this year than last so I invested in my own extractor and uncapping tank. I'm glad I took the plunge. Having my own equipment has allowed me to work on this at night after work at my convenience. Even with the extractor this is a long process and does not go quickly.

This was a good year. I was able to extract about 16 gallons(192 lbs) of honey. Step three will be to bottle the honey once it settles in the bottling buckets.

This is the capping tank with uncapped frames waiting for the extractor. I have accumulated a nice pile of cappings there in the tank. This will spawn another process of melting down all the wax in the solar melter.

Among all the frames most were filled with a light color honey. I had a few though that were very dark. I believe this to be Tulip Poplar based on the strong taste. I wish I had a couple of supers of this as it really tastes good. It will just have to mix it with the other for generic wildflower honey. 

This is the extractor I purchased. It's a Maxant 3100P. That little motor on top has been a good friend. I could not imagine having to hand spin all these frames with the club's manual extractor.

The 3100P will hold 9 frames if you pack them in with three loaded tangentially. I found it is best to run with just six frames to prevent an unbalanced load and higher spin speed. I can let this run for a half hour or so and get the frames nice and clean.

Here is a quick video of the Maxant in action.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

this post makes me so happy! congrats on all that honey for your plunge into so many hives this season. love all your posts!
v

Cassandra said...

Pretty!